The LCD and Keypad Shield gives you a handy 16-character by 2-line display, 5 buttons and a controllable backlight, plug it straight in on top of your Arduino board or other project shields. The display is set behind the shield for a low profile fitment and nice look and we've included panel mounting screw holes in the corners.
It's great when you want to build a stand-alone project with its own user interface that doesn't require a computer attached to send commands to your Arduino.
Works perfectly in 4-bit mode with the "LiquidCrystal" library included with the Arduino IDE, allowing you to control the LCD with a total of just 6 digital I/O lines. We've deliberately picked D4-D9 so that it doesn't interfere with pins required by other popular products such as the Ethernet Shield and EtherTen, so you can stack this on top of other shields to give you a local display.
The buttons provide "left", "right", "up", "down", and "select" while using just one analog input. That leaves the other analog inputs free for you to use in your projects.
The LCD backlight is connected to a potentiometer can be controlled for on/off, brightness.
- 16x2 LCD using HD44780-compatible display module (black characters on green background).
- 5 buttons on one analog input (A0).
- LCD backlight with current limiting, brightness and on/off controllable by a adjustable potentiometer.
- Recessed LCD, panel mount screw holes and button layout suitable for panel or cabinet mounting if desired.
- Reset button.
- Power supply smoothing capacitor.