This RFID reader module is based on MFRC522, supporting the ISO14443 standard. It supports ISO 14443A/MIFARE mode and MIFARE Classic (e.g. MIFARE Standard) products.This module has UART interface. Users don’t have to consider the complex control algorithms within the RF unit, simply sending commands through the UART interface can do all the operation. This module also provides compact commands, which is useful in the application of access control, attendance and other identification system.
This module supports cards including Mifare One S50, S70, Mifare_UltraLight, Mifare_Pro, Mifare_DESFire etc. With built-in 8K of EEPROM in this module, users can easily read and write data by sending commands.
- Control by Serial UART interface
- Typical operating distance in Reader/Writer mode for communication to a ISO/IEC14443A / MIFARE is 40~50mm
- With the chip ISO14443, it supports MIFARE standard encryption algorithm.
- Configuration data is preserved in EEPROM against power cut off
- Built-in 8K EEPROM, easy to access it by sending commands.
- Easy to use, by sending simple commands users can control it to read or write cards.
- In compact command, command is as short as one byte.
- Excellent EMC performance.
- ROSH: lead-free
- Power Supply: 4.5V~5.5V, typically 5V.
- Interface: UART (5V TTL) and SPI (3.3V TTL)
- Size: 40mm x 50mm
The SPI interface is directly connected with MFRC522’s SPI. You can access MFRC522 via this interface. If you do so, you need to refer to MFRC522 Datasheet. Command descripted below is not supported by this interface.
There are 3 LEDs on the board. We marked near each LED.
- STATE LED: Show status. While this module is powered up, STATE LED is on. If this module executes command successfully, STATE LED flashes once. Otherwise, it flashes 4 times.
- CARD LED: While this module detects cards, this LED is on. While the card leaves the detection area, this LED is off.
- MODE LED: In Basic Command mode, MODE LED is off. In Compact Command mode, MODE LED is on.
There are two kinds of commands: Basic Command and Compact Command. Basic Command consists of 3 or more bytes. Compact Command consists of only 1 byte. (All Command Data in hexadecimal format)
For any wrong command sending to this module, 0xFF will be returned. Basic Command should be sent to this module within 5 seconds. Otherwise the module will return 0xEE. If any other data is added behind a right command and sent to this module, those data will be ignored. Take the command AB 02 01 for example, if AB 02 01 AA is sent to this module, the AA will be ignored and the command AB 02 01 will be executed.
Baud rate could be 2400bps ~ 115200bps
- Baud Rate: 9600bps
- Parity bit: None
- Start bit: 1
- Data bit: 8
- Stop bit: 1
No. Command Explain
1 0x01 Automatically search cards
2 0x02 Automatically read the card serial number.
3 0x03 Card serial number will be automatically stored in the EEPROM
40x04 Automatically determine whether the card is in authorization list
5 0x05 Automatically find and remove the card in authorization list
Success: Related Command or Data
Related Command: the command calling this respond
Data: data for the command, depending on the command
Fail: Value of NOT operation over the related command code
Compact Command Description
1. Search card: 0x01
Description: look for cards. Return 0x01 while it detects a card in its reading area. Return 0xFE while a card leaves the reading area.
Command format: 01
2. Read the card serial number: 0x02
Description: Be ready to read the card. Return the card serial number if a card is detected.
Command format: 02
3. Record the card’s serial number into an authorization list: 0x03
Description: Whenever a card enters the reading area, it records the card's serial number into the EEPROM. Maximum 256 cards’ number can be recorded.
This module will check the free space of EEPROM from 0x0000. If there are 4 continuous addresses available, it will save the card number there. Each number will be only saved once. If you use this command, we do not recommend you do writing operation to the EEPROM. Otherwise, the data of authorization list might be lost.
Command format: 03
4. Check if a card is in authorization list: 0x04
Description: Whenever the card enters the reading area, check if the card is in the authorization list.
Command format: 04
- In the list: 04
- Not in the list: FB
5. Remove a card’s serial number from authorization list
Description: Whenever the card enters the reading area, remove the card from authorization list in EEPROM.
Command format: 05